[Arm-netbook] Status update

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Nov 24 00:11:18 GMT 2022

On Wednesday, 23 November 2022 23:19:01 CET Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
wrote:

> what i am *very* pissed off about and will not tolerate is
> people assuming that i can and am going to do everything for
> them. this attitude is completely unacceptable.

Nobody asked you "to do everything for them". But they probably didn't
appreciate the experience of being offered things and then being told "oh,
that's your job" along with detailed instructions on how they should be doing
it.

> you - all of you - have no fucking idea how much my life
> has been absolute hell, to bring this campaign to fruition.
> subsistence living, moving 15 times, zero holidays, no
> health insurance and degraded quality of life due to severe
> debilitating illness, for TEN YEARS.

Well, I am sincerely sorry that this has brought you hardship. It is not
merely hindsight in saying that I could see that you were risking burning
yourself out in the way you were pursuing this effort.

> and i'm being told i'm a "scammer" and should deliver what
> you DEMAND?? fuck off!!

I don't demand anything, really, haven't called you a scammer, nor do I
believe that you are one, either. But it seems to me that you have spread
yourself too thin, quite possibly to maximise the appeal of the campaign.
However, none of that was done at our request.

I will return to remarks about "community" since you brought that up. In a
community, it doesn't all fall to one person to do everything, but in a
situation where someone has made themselves the central individual who decides
and facilitates everything, it becomes very difficult to distribute the burden
because there is no genuine delegation of anything. Why else do you think
people have been wanting answers from you personally rather than from a
selection of other people?

[...]

> above. would you write something publicly that resulted in
> someone losing their livelihood after they'd given you money
> to feed yourself and your family for over two years?
>
> could you do that to someone?
>
> have a look at some of the news coming out of Keene, NH.
> Chris has been through some pretty rough shit. he doesn't
> need to be treated any rougher.

I don't follow "the news coming out of Keene, NH", but you still seem to be
advocating for the public shaming of the guy, so I might well wonder what the
real deal is here, because this really doesn't add up at all. Are we supposed
to act as your proxies in this matter as well?

I actually wouldn't mind some answers about how this situation was able to get
to this rather unhappy point. The money seems to have flowed freely enough,
and yet the only recourse being suggested appears to be a form of mob justice,
despite the involvement of numerous commercial entities. I can hardly find
that credible at all. In fact, I find it all rather distasteful.

Paul