[Arm-netbook] OpenPOWER virtual coffee continues every Tuesday UTC 22:00

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Oct 8 02:22:20 BST 2020

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 11:54:17PM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
> Alain D D Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 01:49:25PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> >> If you want Mate and do not want systemd, you could start with Devuan and
> >> install mate as a package.
> >> Mate is not the default desktop, but it is available.
> >
> > I would like LVM on top of Raid-1 (MDADM). I have tried hard, the Linux mint
> > installer only does LVM if you give it the whole disk. I mirrored 2 disks by
> > hand, and am installing on top of that - no LVM, so I shall throw it away once
> > I see if it works.
> >
> > Next: try plain Debian.
>
> If you want anything complicated regarding RAID/LVM, while it is
> possible to do via debian-installer, it can be a bit of a pain,
> especially if you end up needing to drop to a shell to do the twiddly
> bits, given that the shell in d-i is busybox.
>
> Instead, I'd recomend booting grml (a debian live image) which will then
> a) prove Debian will run nicely on your hardware (given that grml is
> very close to straight Debian), and give you a full OS with which to
> configure your disks etc.:
>
>   https://grml.org/
>
> Look here for docs:
>
>   https://grml.org/docs/
>
> Reading this might help too:
>
>   https://grml.org/grml-debootstrap/
>
> > I might be forced back to Centos 8 & Xfce ... if that does LVM on top of raid -
> > should do, it works in Centos 6 - but no guarantee.
>
> LVM on MD is no problem at all with Debian -- personally I'd recomend
> creating several partitions on the disks, and then RAID each pair of
> partitions, and then add the resulting raids into LVM as PVs -- that way
> you get more choices about what to do when later migrating to bigger
> disks, or deciding that adding a third disk might be good, say.

That's what I do on my (very old now) server.  I have two functioning RAID-1's,
one partitioned by LVM and the other is /boot.  /boot has to be set up with an
older version of RAID -- there are options to do that.  Roughly speaking grub
doesn't care abput RAID, and the RAID software has to put all its identifying
marks at the end of the partition, not the beginning.

I wish I hadn't put *all* my remaining disk space into the main RAID.  It makes
it awkward to set up file systems that contain their own RAIDing, such as
btrfs -- just to try it out.

By the way, all this runs under Devuan.

-- hendrik