[Arm-netbook] OpenPOWER virtual coffee continues every Tuesday UTC 22:00

Alain D D Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 21:19:14 BST 2020

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 01:49:25PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> If you want Mate and do not want systemd, you could start with Devuan and
> install mate as a package.
> Mate is not the default desktop, but it is available.

The principle of systemd I am OK with, what I do not like is that it has grown
too many tentacled arms and is going places where it should not be, replacing
things that work well, they refuse to acknowledge non Linux Unix. But it is not
a battle that I choose to fight, so I'll accept it.

What I really want to avoid is gnome 3.

I would like LVM on top of Raid-1 (MDADM). I have tried hard, the Linux mint
installer only does LVM if you give it the whole disk. I mirrored 2 disks by
hand, and am installing on top of that - no LVM, so I shall throw it away once
I see if it works.

Next: try plain Debian.

I might be forced back to Centos 8 & Xfce ... if that does LVM on top of raid -
should do, it works in Centos 6 - but no guarantee.

Thank goodness for virtual machines as play areas.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/