[Arm-netbook] MNT Reform Campaign

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed May 13 20:52:34 BST 2020

On Tuesday 12. May 2020 19.20.37 Christopher Havel wrote:
> Forgive me for asking, because I didn't quite pass the requisite fervency
> test to be enrolled in the Joint OSHW-F|L|OSS Technical Militia ( :P ), but
> remind me, please, of a couple things, if I may ask them...?

I can try and provide some suggestions, but I'm sure Luke can give you plenty
of additional insight.

> (1) Why are there none of these OSHW devices using existing x86-compatible
> CPUs/SoCs?

I can think of a few reasons, some mundane and some more important for open
source hardware.

One mundane but practical reason might be that there is a degree of additional
complexity in board design and assembly with x86(-64) products. Looking at
recent AMD products where the socket support has been fairly stable, the
actual CPUs seem to have large numbers of pins. If the CPUs are actually
socketed, maybe the techniques involved are less demanding than having to
mount the CPUs directly on the boards, but then I can still imagine that the
engineering isn't going to be easy.

For lower-power products, things like the embedded Ryzen stuff uses a
different socket type (FP5) to normal Ryzen (AM4) - even the GE variants of
normal Ryzen - and for some products I get the impression that the "socket" is
just an indicator of the footprint and not an actual socket where you would be
able to swap out the CPUs, but I could be wrong. And this is just AMD: Intel
seem to change "socket" types all the time which would make everything more
complicated and demanding. It isn't a surprise that there are just a handful
of major mainboard vendors presumably having deep relationships to AMD and
Intel.

For open source hardware, it is also potentially interesting to make low-power
products, and here the power consumption of x86(-64) seems rather high. At the
lower end, Intel seem to offer Atom-branded and Pentium-branded products that
consume a few watts and seem to be based on relatively modern
microarchitectures, and they did try to make embedded CPUs based on earlier
microarchitectures - Quark, I think it was - that didn't catch on.

There is also a strong temptation to drop the x86 legacy altogether when you
are not strongly invested in it. My impression is that SoCs for other
architectures provide a degree of freedom from that legacy at the cost of a
lack of standardisation. But it also means that there is a certain potential
to avoid the more recent undesirable aspects of BIOS-related technologies,
although there are x86-64-based laptops being sold that supposedly address
such issues (in certain regards) and that are promoted as being friendly to
Free Software even if they are not actually open source hardware as well.

> (2a) Are there any meaningful barriers to creating an OSHW-compatible x86
> CPU/SoC, independent of major chip houses (Intel, AMD) or established niche
> players (VIA, etc)?

Yes: patents. VIA only got away with releasing x86-compatible products because
of some ancient agreement, as far as I remember, and Intel has been rather
aggressive in preventing new entrants getting into the market. The histories
of various companies passing through the x86 market are quite interesting:
Cyrix, NexGen, National Semiconductor, IBM, Transmeta, and so on. Many of the
alternative x86 implementations seem to have ended up at AMD over the years.

> (2b) I've heard noises of a homegrown sort of effort out of China, from a
> company and fab house over there... could that CPU be considered as an
> acceptable candidate for such an effirt, and if not, why...? (I assume not,
> and because "China!", but I'm wide open here.)

I think I heard something of the sort, too. There is nothing to stop anyone
from making their own x86(-64) implementation technically, and we must be at
the stage where a fair amount of the x86 architecture is not patent
encumbered. Then again, there are plenty of other architectures that are a lot
more interesting and performant than old-style x86.

That brings us to another pertinent point about modern x86-64 CPUs: the
performance presumably comes from the microarchitecture that is effectively
internal and specific to each of the big players' products (things like Core
and Zen). Seeking to compete with existing x86 products would involve a
colossal amount of work replicating what they have managed to do with those
microarchitecture efforts.

Well, those were just a few ideas, some more credible than others.

Paul