[Arm-netbook] Current status

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jul 21 20:37:15 BST 2020

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 8:29 PM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:
> > this is one thing that really concerns me.  the RK3399 came out nearly 3
> > years ago yet you're saying that *only now* is support for it trickling
> > through to mainstream? what gives?
>
> You're the one to tell us how open-HW is best and you're asking what
> gives? Surely, this is just another example of how much better FLOSS
> is!

it's more another example of the shocking waste of talent and
resources of proprietary companies spongeing off of software libre
resources, expecting them to "pick up after them".

the Libre-SOC ASIC is a hard lesson learned from that: i am making
sure that *everything* is in place even before the first silicon is
out the door.

> > if you want to know more then do join one if rhe virtual coffee calls
> >
> > https://openpowerfoundation.org/openpower-virtual-coffee-calls/
>
> :cry:
> Another Zoom conference. Proprietary executable. Known spying company.
> Why luke, why do people always have to choose the worst of proprietary
> stuff?

i'm not going to try to explain that one to them.  it's "open" calls,
there's nothing confidential discussed.  and there do exist telephone
numbers.

sigh.

anyway, they are really wonderful people.  the conversations are
fascinating, and funny, and often bugger-all to do with PowerISA :)