[Arm-netbook] 2.7.4 preproduction sample, 1.7 MD, Questions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jul 19 14:10:52 BST 2020

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 1:30 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the relationship is between U-Boot and Linux. My impression
> is that U-Boot borrows code from Linux,

yes.  they basically borrow / forward-port (on an irregular basis)
device driver code.  combined with parts of libc6 (or uclibc),
"executables" can be built with a minimum of fuss that look pretty
much like standard c programs except that it's one entire static
binary.  imagine something like busybox combined with parts of the
linux kernel into a single static in-memory binary and that's pretty
much what it is.