[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 Computing Devices Update: 2.7.5 Cards Under Way, NLnet, and Intel Compute Card

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 7 00:26:21 BST 2019

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 6:00 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Monday 6. May 2019 02.56.03 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> >  not in this case: the application was only rejected because the NLnet
> > Foundation needed to tick a single box, "you're one person applying
> > for 2 projects, and we have a 1st-project-1st-application limit of EUR
> > $50k.  is there a 2nd person, living in the EU, who could be the
> > front-man, for... um.... EU-bureaucracy-satisfying-political-reasons,
> > kinda thing?"
>
> Well, I don't think I would feel comfortable putting my name on an application
> just to enable it to navigate the bureaucracy. Although I am familiar with
> this initiative, I am just like many of the other people on this list who are
> supporters of it, in one way or another. It would feel dishonest for me to act
> as a kind of front figure, especially because that is precisely how I would
> perceive my own involvement.

 ok.  no problem.

> [...]
>
> >  mmm... again.... no, not really :)  and it's more that you're an
> > advocate for success, and your reputation in the software libre world,
> > that matters more.
>
> There must be others you have been working with who might satisfy the
> requirements.

 this may come as a surprise: i am so focussed on what i do, for such
prolonged periods of time, that i actually know very few people.
plus, olimex ****'d the project's reputation with the sunxi community
(lied to them about the contents of private conversations), setting it
back about 3 years in the process.

> I might also add that I am living in an EEA country that is not
> in the EU. I doubt that this would make a huge difference, but it is still
> worth noting. Of course, were I living in my country of birth, it would be
> anyone's guess as to how long I and my fellow residents might have left in the
> EU thanks to factors beyond my control, but that is another sordid story.

 :)

 i'm based in taiwan, now, however by giving my mum's address, as a UK
citizen this was acceptable :)

> As far as reputations go, I don't have any notion of what mine is, besides me
> writing a fair amount on a selection of different topics. But I would hope
> that being somewhat independent from particular initiatives might be a part of
> it.

 which is precisely why i thought you may be able to help... no worries.

> We both have some familiarity with one individual - you more than I, in fact -
> who had a reputation for frequently communicating with their audience, having
> some kind of following and far more influence than I might have. But after
> some unfortunate outcomes with projects, including one which saw $100000 go
> via a crowdfunding platform into a Swiss bank account where it has been
> resting ever since, we don't hear very much from them any more. (Note that I
> don't blame that individual for the continuing inactivity of that sum of
> money, but their reputation has not exactly blossomed as a consequence.)

 *sigh*... y'know... the people that tend to cross me tend to do so
because they know that i can see right through them.  at one job, one
person who treated me badly, i accidentally ended out shouting "this
person's a thief and a liar!" and the boss had to demand that i
apologise.   two years later he called me up and said, "you were
right: i caught him helping himself to the cash register and the tools
from the shop"....

> I do want to see this initiative deliver results because this would empower
> everyone who has been waiting for those results. After all, the initial
> campaign is, and was always going to be, the start of something more
> significant. But my role in this initiative is not significant enough for me
> to act in any official capacity, sad to say.

 no problem paul.

 i have two long-standing friends from UKUUG days who might be willing
to help, i can ask them.