[Arm-netbook] eoma68 a20 card production

Alexander Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Fri Jun 21 20:45:51 BST 2019

On 21/06/2019 7:47 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:> On Saturday,
June 22, 2019, Alexander Ross <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/06/2019 4:13 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:> On Friday,
>> June 21, 2019, Alexander Ross <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me>
>>>>
>>> The irony is that the updates become a canonical list of Everything That
>>> Could Go Wrong on an ooen hardware project...
>> also shows how your one of the few projects to get a lot of things right:
>>
>> *Is possible to devolop, make stuff in china. Without years of
>> experience. By being in china.
>

> This is a really funny summary, to be fair to purism they are now a
Benefit
> Corp, and they had some influence with Intel, their requests for switching
> off the ME by default actually resulted in internal buzz around a "ME-less
> BIOS".
>
> Then the "NSA off switch" was discovered and they were able to do FW BIOS
> patches for their products, without Intel's help, permission or
involvement.

Yea i was being hard on them. I may well end up getting there librem
phone. I do wonder, suspect the fuss made + there clout of money they
raised and media press and high end extra well paid worker/biz person
target market, may well have helped things to change.

> Even as far back as 2011 I could have compromised, released some SBC
> design, made some cash, established a business, and funded EOMA68 with it.
>
> Or made some other compromise, done something a la fairphone or etc
etc and
> got up and running that way.
>
> The risk was, getting sidetracked by running such a business, instead of
> focussing on EOMA68.
>
> Or, being criticised for compromising, undermining the whole purpose
of the
> exercise.
>
> What can you do, eh?
yea its tricky. i see others that did those things and start to wonder
but then i think, have they produced hw as free as what your work on?
no. they may be about too, like librem phone but im waiting for final
hardware before i believe it.

maybe doing some of what they did but a lesser of the eviles version
would have helped raise more money, fund efforts, make things easier.

like pyra’s evil dragon shop selling gpd pocket laptops and other
proprietary hardware of interest which helps to provide funds but it
does take days out of dev time...

or  as you said sbc etc...

IDK, hard to say whats right. There isn’t a right way but more annoying
ways too see lessons leant :).
I guess only do what ya can or think you should. As thats what happens
any way :)

Then again with libre-riscv, maybe things are going to get a lot bigger
for ya, being involved with that project. new floss, innovative and
cheap, under cutting status quo, cpu and related parts. Big potential
but long way to go but maybe you be laughing in 10years time? :D with a
nice amount in bank account :)