[Arm-netbook] eoma68 a20 card production

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 21 19:36:53 BST 2019

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

> For me, Posts like these are far better than a date :)
>>>

>>> The irony is that the updates become a canonical list of Everything That
>> Could Go Wrong on an ooen hardware project...
>>
>> L.
>>

>> Seems like a lot went wrong, Still, I am certain you will succeed. :)
>
> And yes, better to be very late than have a product that sucks major dong.
> ;)
>
> Tell me, when I showed you that A64 processor, with the sunxi link, does
> it look like it could be run with only free software? If so that could be
> your next processor to use with the eoma68 standard.

I was annoyed with Allwinner and deleted the design I was working on. Also,
I think they restricted the RGBTTL output to 1280x800 and EOMA68 requires
1366x768 minimum.

After using a superb LCD driver under Mr Ding's design direction the other
Business Units started to license some shoddy LCD driver that restricted
the framebuffer to 1MByte in size.

Any product that went beyond that *also licensed PowerVR* and there's no
way in hell I'm doing a Card with a PowerVR GPU.

All that having been said, it turns out yet again that it is Allwinner
Marketing Dept lying and incompetence that shoots themselves in the foot.

They started lying about the A20 a few years back, saying it is only
capable of 1024x768 because otherwise it made other offerings, more
"advanced", on the same marketing page, look bad.

http://linux-sunxi.org/A64 says the A64 can do up to 1920x1080p60 on the
RGBTTL interface.

Sigh.

> That aside, I wish you the best and hope you will succeed!  I am very
> hopeful you will. Same with the libre risc-v processor. We need one of
> those for the future.
>
> Quad core with 2.4 ghz/5glops + under 2.5 watts would be sick man. I hope
> as you learn more about how to do that stuff it will be achieveable. :)

:)

---