[Arm-netbook] Fixing the fex file once and for all

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jul 19 08:05:04 BST 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 8:13 PM Richard Wilbur <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 18, 2019, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
> >

> >  honestly, just other people helping out - *actually* helping out with
> > u-boot, linux kernel etc. - would be a huge relief.
> >

> I've been itching to get involved since I picked up my prototype in England
> but waiting (too patiently?  Should I have bothered/reminded you about it
> earlier?)

 probably :)

> for the video how-to you promised to make on how to
> non-destructively plug the unenclosed CPU card (without the guides) into
> the micro-desktop case.

 ah, rats.

 ok.  it's fine if you get it wrong as long as it's not powered up.
try it and send me some photos.

 * put MD PCB on a flat surface
 * processor goes face-up
 * push PCB in until it meets pins
 * make sure that the gap amount on each side (left, right) is equal - about 3mm
 * make sure it's about 1mm off the MD PCB
 * make sure it's DEAD level
 * push in GENTLY, making sure that the force applied does not make
the Card PCB "rise up" (be anything other than dead-level)

 if you then inspect into the tunnel, you should see no pins.
actually it's perfectly fine to *deliberately* get it wrong, as long
as you don't apply power.

 send a photo looking into the tunnel, ok?

> Would the cable-only setup be a valid way to get started?

 actually that's a good test - you should see the standard allwinner
USB device with "lsub"

> Should I expect the micro HDMI plug to be alive?

 no, not really.

> I guess the earliest debug output (u-boot?) will likely be on the serial
> console available through the EOMA68 connector.

 yes.  the schematics PDF shows the pinouts.  in the past i've stuffed
serial port wires directly into the PCMCIA header, *and* soldered
direct to a socket (!) - soldering to the MD PCB is a *lot* easier.