[Arm-netbook] Fixing the fex file once and for all

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jul 18 06:35:53 BST 2019

---

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 4:28 AM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:

> A paper: http://www.literateprogramming.com/knuthweb.pdf
> Website: http://www.literateprogramming.com/
> Criticism: http://akkartik.name/post/literate-programming
>
> The criticism shows how this method can be taken to an extreme and be a
> complete waste of everyones time.

"Literally the first line of code shown is a macro to access a field
for presumably a struct whose definition — whose very type name — we
haven't even seen yet. "

i stopped reading the akkartik.name post at this point.  use of
sarcasm to criticise one of the most highly regarded and influential
people in computer science is just going to piss people off.

#defines are *KNOWN* to be a pre-processor stage.  if you don't know
that, get f*****g educated for f***'s sake.

i'm getting quite alarmed at the amount of blatant ignorance and
misinformation about c that seems to be propagating through the
internet at the moment.

"Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of
programs: Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a
computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human
beings what we want a computer to do."

this is why there is an entrepreneur that flatly refuses to employ
computer science majors: he employs ENGLISH LANGUAGE majors and PAYS
to have them trained to program.

the reason is extremely simple: they make better communicators, they
make better team co-workers, they write better documentation and they
write maintainable and understandable code.

l.