[Arm-netbook] OT: Food for thought

doark at mail.com doark at mail.com
Wed Jul 10 02:15:30 BST 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 14:35:48 +0100
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 4:28 AM <doark at mail.com> wrote:
>
> > You know what happens when you can't answer one of my questions,
> > right? :) tap tap tap tap ...... tap tap tap ... Aha!
> > How's this, a 28/22nm chip fabrication plant for $4.2 billion?
> > Not that GlobalFounderies ever had a winning process...
> > https://www.anandtech.com/show/2814/3
> > And, if you read further down you can see that you can get a smaller
> > plant with a College campus for $4 billion.
>
>  cool!

<snip>

Please be aware that there are 3 costs involved in a foundry (I wish I
could remember or find where I read this).
1. The cost of building it. Really big.
2. The cost of starting it up for the first time. AFAIR 1/2 of the cost
   of building it.
3. The cost of running it. Normally the customers pay for this.

So, just having the funds to build a foun doesn't mean we can start
producing chips.

Sincerely,
David