[Arm-netbook] tricky conundrum for the upcoming libre-riscv soc crowdsupply page: image needed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Nov 7 05:25:11 GMT 2018

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:29 AM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:

> Luke, I live in EST and until Friday I will be away from my keyboard most
> days during working hours and then dinner time comes (and no, I really
> can't skip dinner due to health reasons).

 no problem

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 05:32:58 +0000
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 5:18 AM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for getting back to you so quickly. :)
> >
> >  *snort* - i made up for it by completely failing to notice the admin
> > messages...
>
> ROFL
>
> > > As you said, it's a cat and mouse game. But I created something
> > > anyway.
> >
> >  oooo i looove the 3D one!  can you fit "Libre" above that for me?  i
> > *love* the font and the whole thing, it's awesome.
>
> You're kidding?! No, you're not! Luke, that is AMD's Ryzen benchmark
> with their CPU featured in the picture!

 aww shame

> I changed the letters, added our
> logo, and removed their orange one!
> As for the font, I know I try hard to do my best work, each and every
> time, but it was HAND DRAWN WITHOUT PRACTICE (excluding the R from
> Ryzen :) ).

 yowch, ok.  hmmm, well, it still looks awesome.  i wonder if
something similar could be done...

> Remember your 30 sec price estimation? This is my 3 hour blender cool
> thing creation! I haven't touched blender in years! Until now...
>
> I aught to check the license... Ok, I can't find anything on AMD's website
> about the file at all. I've also tried searching in several places
> throughout the web without success.
> The file itself does not, but can, contain a license.
> I downloaded it directly from AMD so no chance of file alteration.
> http://download.amd.com/demo/RyzenGraphic_27.blend
> A big company not specifying a license??? This is unheard of!
>
> What are you planning to use these things for?

 slap them on the front page of the crowdsupply campaign.

> I could create my own CPU without any chance of copyright problems, but
> the soonest I could have it done is Sunday.

 hmmm now that you've done it i *may* be able to do something similar
using pyopenscad.

> I'll work on the rest of the lettering and send it later. Tell me what I
> should do about the license and blend...

 sadly we need to respect copyright law.  default copyright law is
"permission must be sought and granted"

> >  can you send me the svgs, i'm assuming inkscape can deal with
> > resizing of the primitive shapes: gimp i'd need to obviously do
> > pixel-level editing
> <snip>
>
> Ummm, I included the SVG in the last email, just delete the green circle
> and there you go!
> Maybe you did not get it? Attaching again.

 not attached: i think i know why, i haven't added image/svg to the
allowed content filters for this list.