[Arm-netbook] Urgent statement on Cryptocurrency ethics

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Mar 22 09:45:08 GMT 2018

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> oh.  sorry, i forgot to add the other qualifier to
> crypto-currencies / blockchain: *individuals* have to take *direct*
> responsibility [where previously they could abdicate that
> responsibility to a third party / central authority].  if they fail to
> take responsibility, they get ripped off [viruses, lost wallet
> passwords etc.].

I'd like to announce a revolution in data privacy.  Individuals can take
control of their data, and ensure that it doesn't leak into the hands of
people that they don't want to have it.

Just install PGP.

Thirty years later, where do the vast majority of people do their
crypto?  In Google's data centres.

Even people that have been using crypto for 30 years almost never
actually encrypt their email.  I still sign most of mine, but that's
really just nostalgia for the time when I still thought that we could
expect everyone to end up doing that sort of thing.

I'm pretty good at looking after my keys, and would not for instance
need to revoke them if you stole my laptop, so am in a tiny minority.

Would I be willing to make my current account balance contingent on my
not screing that up?

NO!  and I definitely want a court to go to if my bank tells me they
lost track of my money.

I think you can be sure that the people will fight viciously to avoid
taking any sort of responsibility. See: Facebook & Cambridge Analytica.

Cheers, Phil.