[Arm-netbook] Well, this is interesting...

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:25:42 GMT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:04 AM, Louis Pearson
<desttinghimgame at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Christopher Havel <laserhawk64 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Neither ARM nor netbook, strictly speaking, but we've veered off topic
>> before, so gee why not...
>>
>> https://hackaday.com/2018/03/12/new-guts-make-old-thinkpads-new/
>>
>> Looks vaguely relevant.

Those are some awesome machines. r/thinkpad went nuts on the x62 when
it got released.

> That is very impressive! I'd rather get the laptop chassis for the
> eoma68 for that price though.

There are a lot of people who swear by thinkpad keyboards and the
lenovo trackpoint. These machines are amazingly built for what they
are: the ports fit right into the old holes and the thermals are
actually really, really good. Very well designed and if I recall
correctly there were some fan noise issues on the early editions which
got fixed later on.

A question that popped my mind though: We do know that newer nodes up
to finFET give better perf/dollar when used on scale so explaining why
a sbc like the rpi is possible today is easy. Has the same happened in
pcb fabrication? This is a very high end board that costs 700$ and
includes the cpu which retails for several hundred bucks. I'm
surprised at the cost at which they made these.