[Arm-netbook] [Campaign Question] The project page (crowdsupp...

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 12:48:31 BST 2018

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 6:35 PM, lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for this - it's really appreciated, i'm going to cc the mailing
> list, bcc'ing you, and taking out your email address.
>
> there is something which i've not put on the page (however it has been
> discussed many times over the years on the mailing list).  right now
> the last thing that's needed is for a huge number of non-technical
> individuals to come online at once and overwhelm the *volunteer*
> technical members of the mailing list.

This is something that I see a lot of people not appreciate: People
use their windows computers full time with absolutely no technical
support. Even when they pay( and even for pre installed computers the
notion of the OS being part of the cost exists subconsciously as I've
noticed with a friend), they do not expect or feel entitled to
technical support. It comes to show how important the maturity of a
project is( as in even the worst OS currently available can run long
enough to warrant the users not requiring technical support).

I think once the original crowdfunding pledges are delivered a first
round of outreach will be required. I don't know how future sales of
the project are going to happen( since as you said you don't intend to
stay in the business of making them for long) or who is going to
develop new cards but the project could definitely use some extra
eyes. Personally I'm holding off a purchase both due to the fact that
the A20 is too slow for anything useful for me and mainly due to cost(
and I want to build a NAS at some point too).