[Arm-netbook] HDMI Player Stick as DRM-free Merch Alternative

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:40:13 BST 2018

On Jul 22, 2018, at 15:11, Jean Flamelle <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Encourage copying, modifying, as well as redistributing the content.

By this do you mean an unencrypted output over HDMI (without HDCP in other words)?

> However build a culture of the 'Unpause-able Player Stick':

How do we "encourage copying, modifying, as well as redistributing the content" from an 'Unpause-able Player Stick' that has "air-gap" security?

Who can copy, modify, or redistribute the content?

What is the utility of making it 'Unpause-able'?  That was always one of the advantages I saw to having user control:  you can adapt the viewing experience to the realities of your life.

It seems to me that a lot more variety of materials will be required to make one of these sticks than an optical disc which is mostly one type of plastic.  That would seem to make the stick more difficult to recycle than the disc.  If the stick can't be loaded with new content, then its use cycle will be closer to a non-rewritable optical disc.

What if we created an open video format that allowed sections of a work to be attributed to the original author/creator?  Sort of a digital credits meta-data list.  Could also be useful for still images, audio, and possibly other media.  A method to identify some portion of the whole work and record attribution information.

Editing tools would be very useful in managing this data.