[Arm-netbook] pyra computer

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Wed Feb 14 10:07:30 GMT 2018

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:30:49PM -0500, Julie Marchant wrote:
>>
>> Either that, or perhaps you are referring to some other law which is
>> neither copyright nor trademark, and spreading confusion by using two
>> wrong terms.
>
> In Canada, I've been old that standards marks are legally recognissed as
> such and are different from either copyright or trademarks.  I do not
> now how this is elsewhere.

IANAL, but I suspect that the confusion arises because Luke is
(presumably) the sole copyright holder on the canonical documentation
for the standard, so while there is a Certification Mark (which I think
is mostly dealt with in line with Trademark law) the thing that defines
what the Certification Mark actually means is a copyrighted work.

Of course, mixing those things up, and making assertions about being
forced to do things by Copyright Law when it was almost certainly meant
to be Trademark Law does not help.

On the other hand I'd say that Luke has free rein when it comes to
moderating or expelling people on this list, so the justification is
largely irrelevant ... although being even-handed about it is liable to
ensure a better atmosphere amongst those who remain.

Cheers, Phil.