[Arm-netbook] RK3399

ronwirring at Safe-mail.net ronwirring at Safe-mail.net
Sun Feb 11 19:59:10 GMT 2018

-------- Original Message --------
From: Pičugins Arsenijs<crimier at yandex.ru>
Apparently from: arm-netbook-bounces at lists.phcomp.co.uk
To: "arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk" <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] RK3399
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:38:40 +0200

For your information, I am in a censorship dispute with lkcl. I do
not know what he will come up with. Maybe some or all of my
posts will be stopped.

> Yep, thankfully, the laptop will likely take a while anyway. What I'd personally be interested in is making it all work before the start of next EOMA crowdfunding, or maybe during it (so that the crowdfunding gets some more publicity and is taken even more seriously).

When the pc card is being shipped there will be no cabinet
or a 15inch notebook available in terms of cabinets with
a display.
I agree the more different cabinet sizes present, even if
modified computer cabinets, the better. I do not
follow lkcl's opposition on this.

> I'm mostly interested in desktop sharing from my side, so that I can show how to draw a simple board. No other requirements from your side, webcam definitely not needed (though having a voice channel would be great). If you're interested, I can stream my desktop to something like Twitch, so that you can view it (and whoever else wants to).

Yes.

> Great! Once we'll have first boards (say, keyboard matrix), we might require some more tools - but nothing expensive or complicated. Do you have a photo of your soldering iron somewhere (maybe a similar photo on the internet) - just to make sure it's the right one for the job?

It is a weller sp 40l 40w.
In case I did not mention it before. I have a raspberry pi 0 and
a beaglebone black revision c if that could be useful.

> I've measured connectors on my boards, and it looks like the right one. Worst case - I can desolder a connector from my boards and mail it to you. Notes: from these 28 pins, one is GND (for some reason) and one is NC (not connected), and two pairs of pins are in parallel. So, we'll need a microcontroller with 24 free GPIOs, or a cheap I2C IO expander added. Seeing how the keyboard is a 16x8 matrix, a GPIO expander could fit very well (alternatively, we could copy whatever solution is used in some kind of popular DIY keyboards, provided we can find one that suits the row/column count).

I will get the ribbonconnector. I still have the asus eeepc's mainboard.

The pocketchip's keyboard is an i2c keyboard. Is the asus
eeepc's keyboard also an i2c keyboard?
Lkcl has said, the pc card supports i2c. Instead of
modifying the asus eeepc's keyboard into an usb
keyboard, what about i2c connecting the keyboard to
the pc card? To my knowledge you can use the
beaglebone black revision c to test i2c devices.
I found a video on youtube on the matter.

I have this forestalled remark. I would prefer not to cut
in the asus eeepc's cabinet. If I do it wrongly, I do not have
another cabinet.
Instead at the bottom of the asus eeepc there is a removable
plate. There is a balk which likely can be removed. I would
prefer to insert the pc card by that plate.

I have not been able to find something like the pcmcia/eoma
68 breakout board. Should we not find a shop to buy
one?

I will start a new post named 'asus eeepc 7inch, modifying
it to accept a pc card' for further postings.

> bottom line: please do NOT design this circuit without public
> consultation and without my FINAL approval.

Thank you for your warning. And participation.