[Arm-netbook] Alt Webpage & Logo Combo

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 14:02:10 GMT 2018

On Friday, February 02, 2018 09:30:10 PM Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 06:10:57PM +0000, Alexander Ross wrote:
> > Re Webpage background, heh yea im the opposite, i find it harder to read
> > a white/light background. saying that my email client is set to use
> > light blue... lately ive been using owl firefox addon[1] for changing
> > websites themes to a dark one. found it to give me relief from eye
> > strain :).
>
> I prefer light text on a dark background.  Especially at night, when the
> screen otherwise becomes glaringly bright.  It also reduces flicker on
> slow-refresh monitors.
>
> And as for the letter-thinning you experience with white text -- that's
> exactly what I perceive with white text!  I think it is an effect of
> slight lack of focus. with a bright background it eaats into the letter
> shapes, but if the shapes become a little blurry they are still quie
> readable.
>
> I son't understand how the opposite effect which you report arises.

I guess you mean why I see that thinning effect with light text on a dark
background?  Interesting.

I guess it could be:
   * our eyes trained differently
   * our eyes function differently--I have astigmatism, but it is corrected by
my glasses so I don't think that is a factor
   * different tools on our computers render the fonts differently?  (I'm not
sure I know what, in the end, actually renders the fonts on my computer--is it
X (assuming my Wheezy installation is using X), or is it different for different
apps?

I did find a bug report not too long ago for some application which actually
confirmed the bias I described, and described how that worked (in general
terms)--I'll make a cursory search or try to remember where I found that, and,
if I do, I'll post it here.

Of course, the one URL which Florian posted did provide some reasons why dark
text on a light background is generallly better for your eyes (iirc the
article).

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-
better-for-the-eyes#