[Arm-netbook] microkernels

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 04:54:14 GMT 2018

@ All - thank you for a better understanding of microkernels. I learned
more than a few things there.

@ Luke, re Win - it is one of two Win boxes I maintain. The other is a Dell
XPS 15Z with the more odious Windows 10, which I need because I use a
graphics application called CorelDRAW.

I have attempted the use of Inkscape - but, "bless their hearts" (as one
often says, in my geographic location) they have no idea how to make a
human-usable UI. The one time I tried it, it gave me fits and left me with
far more questions than answers...

I maintain the Win7 netbook because of a promise I made to a close friend -
he spent his childhood in front of various computers with the Commodore
logo on them - and he recently gave me that collection, with tge request
that I image the rather extensive disk library that it came with, so that
if he ever wanted to fire up an emulator and muck around like a kid again,
he could. Normally this requires a real DOS computer, and specialized
software and cabling - as Commodore's disk drives used a different encoding
scheme, at the magnetic level, from what PC drives use - but I recently
acquired a device called a "ZoomFloppy", which enables the use of more
modern equipment to do the PC side of the job - you still need a Commodore
drive, mind you, but you are no longer mired in the world of the early
1990s (at the latest!) otherwise, which dramatically reduces the number of
potential points of failure.

...as for why I'm using the netbook for anything else - that comes down to
three things. One, I like sitting in my front room right now better than
spending all day at the desk in the bedroom - which I desperately need to
clean off. Two, one of my DIY laptops recently died spectacularly, and I'm
awaiting parts for a rebuild. Three, the netbook offers a convenient
stand-in for the dead laptop and is easily set up in my front room, whereas
relocating the much larger,  remaining DIY laptop from the bedroom desk
would be a considerable effort indeed.

Also - I do not, in the given context, understand the term "marshalling" as
you used it - could you elaborate, please...?