[Arm-netbook] Questioning The Holy War

Pablo Rath pablo at parobalth.org
Sat Dec 8 12:07:15 GMT 2018

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 04:52:22PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 12:59:44PM +0100, Pablo Rath wrote:
> >
> > How do you know if the source is closed? :)
>
> Let's assume this is a real question.

Hendrik, I am sorry. I see, I have phrased my (rhetoric) question
poorly. What I meant and should have written is mor like: "How can you know if a
software behaves well and doesn't shoot the cat when you can't audit the
source code?"

> If you try to get a copy of the source and are refused without signing
> a nondisclosure afgreement, there's good chance that it's closed.

Software should be distributed with a license and the source or with
instructions where the source is publicly available. If a file or
program lacks a license we have to assume it is proprietary. Of course
asking helps in case of doubt.

kind regards
Pablo