[Arm-netbook] Questioning The Holy War

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Sat Dec 8 03:00:09 GMT 2018

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 13:25:31 +0000
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 08:19:50 -0500
> Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > > Yet, almost every message on this list seems to carry with it the
> > > implication -- if not express statement -- that if a given
> > > application can't be openly audited on a remarkably low level by a
> > > random layperson at a random time and place -- ... -- it must
> > > therefore be evil and untrustworthy.

There are actually 3 arguments to favor this view point:
1. You learn by experience. Picture young children. They break things to
learn how they work. No introspection means severely limited
understanding.
2. If schools and libraries would *actually* teach programming, as
opposed to MS-word Macros which enslave the person to a product (yes,
here in the US), then there would be less people who would be incompetent
when it comes to CS. The source being readily accessible lends itself to
this goal.
3. "Many eyes make all bugs shallow." -- Linus Torvalds (Never said they
were all geniuses or something.)

> > If a president refuses to show his tax records, I consider it as
> > evidence that I can't trust him/her.
> >
> > Same goes for software.
> >

>  and yet... people still vote for them... :)

And buy the software.
"Who is the more foolish, the fool or the fool who [buys stuff from]
[votes for] him?" -- Obi-wan Kenobi (Star Wars) purposefully misquoted.

David