[Arm-netbook] What do 1,000 EOMA68-A20 PCBs look like?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 7 15:36:33 GMT 2018

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> I like the way the reporter gets an internal compiler error. These things,
> including linker assertion errors which the user shouldn't see, don't seem to
> get adequately diagnosed or remedied in my experience: you just get told that
> "you're holding it wrong" and WONTFIX. Still, since 2004 there should be some
> test cases by now. ;-)

 you know how lobsters will sit in a pot that's boiling because the
temperature differential is not big enough? well... it's like that.

 unfortunately, over the past decade+, nobody predicted that the
linker phase would go *anywhere near* 4GB in size.  that would be
INSANE!!  so of *course* they ripped out all of the historic archaic
techniques that dealt efficiently with linking when there's less
memory than can be addressed even by adding Virtual Memory.

 regarding cross-compiling: if you've seen how openembedded uses
bitbake to do cross-compiling (which includes setting an automatic
qemu redirect of autoconf script running and even qemu-emulated gcc
running), you start to get a deep appreciation for the dangers of
cross-compiling.

 the key one is, you have absolutely no idea if the host correctly
generated the autoconf settings correctly or not.  even running under
qemu is not accepted, because of the risks of qemu giving the wrong
information when compared to native hardware.

L.