[Arm-netbook] What do 1,000 EOMA68-A20 PCBs look like?

Pablo Rath pablo at parobalth.org
Fri Dec 7 11:02:12 GMT 2018

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 09:38:43PM -0500, Julie Marchant wrote:

>> On 12/06/2018 01:39 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > the RYF Criteria are extremely specific: it's not enough to have a
> > non-free section that's "disabled", it must be *not possible* for
> > an average end-user to *accidentally* end up installing non-free
> > software by complete accident such as "running a GUI and
> > arbitrarily clicking random buttons".
> >
> > the absolute worst-case is where an inexperienced end-user,
> > running e.g. synaptics, goes "i have no idea what this does, i'm
> > just gonna click it" and it happens to enable the "non-free"
> > section, happens to silently and happily perform an apt-get update,
> > and wow, suddenly there's binary firmware available... all WITHOUT
> > warning the user of the consequences.

[...]

> Just a note, the only way to add the non-free section in Debian
> involves typing the word "non-free" into a particular spot on a text
> file, or if using the GUI interface, to edit the entry for the Debian
> repo to type "non-free" into the "Components" textbox in the "Edit
> Source" dialog box. So it's not really possible to accidentally enable
> the non-free repository. I honestly tend to disagree with the FSF's
> classification of Debian for this reason.

I have just checked synaptics on my Debian stable Laptop with only main
repos enabled and could not find a button to enable non-free with just
one (or a few) clicks.

But according to the points here:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

there are other concerns besides "number of clicks" and "accidents of Joe
Average Enduser".
So in the foreseeable future FSF endorsement of Debian is unlikely.

Has anyone on this list attended:
https://www.fsf.org/events/molly-deblanc-john-sullivan-20180803-hsinchucity-debconf

The user group of the first (crowd supply) computer cards will split
into subgroups running the distributions mentioned in the campaign
rewards (Debian, Devuan, Parabola, Fedora). Some will try to stay as
close to the vanilla state of a fresh install. Some will use a state
working with linux-sunxi-kernel (as previously discussed on this list).
I think we can expect a lot of diversity. I am going to be in the Debian
group.

> That being said, it's the FSF's rules, so Parabola is the only real
> option regardless of what one might think of the FSF's classification.

I agree.

kind regards
Pablo