[Arm-netbook] Standardized Battery Pack Sizes?

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:58:17 BST 2017

Typing on phone, please excuse top post.

Lithium ion cells are somewhat sedate, but cannot release as much current
at once as lithium polymer cells can. Lithium iron phosphate cells are
similarly sedare, but have capacities and discharge abilities more like
those of lithium polymer cells.

Lithium polymer cells are the ones on YouTube that catch fire (or worse) at
slight provocation. They tend to (pick one) melt, catch fire, or explode
during recharge, if the parameters are at all even slightly off.

Most phones also use lithium polymer cells, though - usually a single
flatpack in a case. These flatpacks need room to expand, whether in a case
or "non-removeable" inside the phone. What happened with the infamous
Galaxy Note 7 was that the designers did not pay attention to this
requirement. The batteries tried to expand, couldn't, and shorted out
internally as a result. Boom.