[Arm-netbook] OT: Librem 5?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Sep 26 15:46:34 BST 2017

---

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
>>  they made it look like, because everything else was libre, there was
>> really absolutely no harm done by having the ME firmware, you really
>> had nothing to be concerned about, you could buy one of their machines
>> and have a totally secure system.
>>

> I don't recall that to be honest.

 yes.  primarily it's by omission.

> From what I understand they said the
> laptop would ship 100% libre from the beginning while they ended up
> shiping a traditional laptop with killswitches and the ability to run
> coreboot in the future, something that they achieved now. And they
> have a decent number of articles about their work on disabling the
> intel ME.

 their _requests to intel_ to disable the ME back-door co-processor...
specifically requested (or, well... if the NSA "asks" you can't
exactly say "No"... not if you want to stay in business...) that it be
added in the first place.

 which do you think intel will take seriously: the threats the NSA
made against them (along with the nice bribes).. or a company that
makes up 0.00001% of their global business sales?

> I don't think it is and that switch was only a very recent discovery.

 yehyeh.

> It's ironic, the moment intel moved the AMT to x86 everyone got into
> breaking it. And there is a scheduled talk on how to run unsigned code
> on any intel ME system for a conference in the next couple weeks.

 at laaaast.  that's extremely good news.  maybe i can do an intel
eoma68 card some day after all.