[Arm-netbook] OT: Librem 5?

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 13:48:24 BST 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> You make a decent argument, however all the issues were pointed out to
> them during the laptop campaigns again and again, and they did not
> learn; they repeated them with this phone. That's willfull ignorance if
> not outright malevolence.
>
> 1. They advertised the laptop as 100% free, when it could not be so due
> to ME.
> 2. They advertised it would ship with coreboot, when it did not until
> several months after release.
>
> Deceptive advertising, and they repeated the same thing with the phone.
> Even if we want somebody to succeed in a less-free device, do we want
> them to be the people who willfully deceive in order to do so?

Honestly I don't really care. I look at the end result. Their
advertisement pisses me off to no end, but at least they got something
done. As it stands right now they are the no.2 most free and secure
laptop manufacturer out there. If our community is so twisted that we
need someone to decieve us to get people reverse engineering the intel
ME just to "show them" or whatever happened, then I say well deserved.
So unless some engineer comes out libv-style with proof that "I spent
x amount of my time for purism to take advantage of it and I got
nothing in return" my purchase decision will not change. So far all
that they lied about was the timeframe at which they would ship the
features, but not the features themselves. So no biggie for me. Also
in regards to RYF certification I remember rms saying he wished amd
would burn their firmware blobs for their gpus to rom so they could
grand RYF to their cards. Sounds a bit of a foolish way to grand RYF,
but if purism follows the same idea( which according to the campaign
page they intend to) they might actually get it.