[Arm-netbook] OT: Librem 5?

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 15:28:26 BST 2017

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 07:49:13PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> WHAT CPU WILL BE USED I.MX6 OR I.MX8?
>> We are using the i.MX6, unless/until we know we can use i.MX8.
>>
>> ??  power-hungry Cortex A9?? worra??
>>
>> WILL YOU BE SEEKING FSF RYF ENDORSEMENT?
>> We will constantly keep FSF up-to-date on the hardware and software,
>> our current understanding is any non-free kernel firmware needed for
>> RF chips will not meet the RYF qualifications today
>>
>> that's right boyzngirlz, it don't.  so... why are you calling your
>> company "purism", again?
>>
>> *sigh*....
>
> For every purest of the purists there is someone even more purist.

In this case it's about being honest. Just because it's less bad does
not make it good.

If every one is doing the bad thing, that doesn't make it right. That
way of thinking brought on the whole banking crisis. And many wars
etc.

I'm not saying that this will start a crisis or a war. But it's wrong
nonetheless.

They sell this as an good "open" product. If they believe they are
doing the right thing they are just totally wrong. And probably deaf.

The'res no shame in saying: Is the phone BLOB free no! Is it more open
than the average smartphone yes. It's much better than the rest. And
if we're successful we might generate enough money the do even better
next time. Support us!

What you do get.
- Better privacy. The telco does not have access to your memory! Why?
The GSM module is separate from CPU.
- Opensource drivers. You can swap OS and keep upgrading until it falls apart.
- Open schematics. Hack away it's your as you please.

What not
- Open firmware

How's that for purism marketing!