[Arm-netbook] OT: Librem 5?

Alexander Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Sat Sep 23 18:10:45 BST 2017

On 23/09/17 17:38, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
> Will it be RYF? Probably not. Will it be better than anything we have now? Absolutely.
yep

> Will it be better than Pyra‎ or Neo900? Depends on your use case. Pyra will probably ship sooner

mmh yea. some of the same neo900 devs are working on pyra so when prya
is finished i guess neo900 will get more attention :)

been wondering about a gpd pocket lately. non-free bios, wifi but 8GB
ram laptop for £340 from china is quite tempting. a higher power laptop
would be useful... plus i can "dock"/connect the gpd poket into my
eoma68 laptop via breakout card if i want to work on a larger
screen,KB,touchpad.

Snag is yucky intel bios :( and crappy wifi ant design. Battery I guess
will require a hack around for a replacement as i imagine it won’t be
easy to get a same size one. On the bright side there are good sized
battery test points so one can by the looks of it, solder wires and
stick a 18650/lipo battery pack on the outside of the case :)

Pyra looks like smaller keyboard? Far less powerful but better battery
life/efficiency. Bit more ££ but is libre hardaware with again non-free
but better designed wifi. pyra with 4g + bluetooth headset + if really
good power saving is implemented, could then be a kind of phone?