[Arm-netbook] Well, /this/ looks relevant...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Oct 5 05:26:07 BST 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:42 AM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

> On 10/04/2017 09:00 PM, Christopher Havel wrote:
>> Hackaday commenters are usually a bit curmudgeonly. I wouldn't pay the
>> peanut gallery there too much attention.
> Dunno, we'll see I suppose, if it is completely free software then it is
> worth it, but if not, if there is some dumb licensing, then avoid it.
> that's about all I can say...

 there's no reason - at all - why they would put or require any
proprietary firmware on it.  there's no VPU, no GPU, nothing special
at all.  the nice thing is it looks like it'll be actual first silicon
64-bit so people can at last start doing native compiles.  that's
particularly important for debian: cross-compiled or qemu-compiled
packages are *not* accepted (arch they don't mind).

 for an EOMA68 module the need for an FPGA is... disappointing.  i
suspect this chip will be somewhere around the 650 to 700 pins mark if
they have only 2 32-bit lanes but if they've done 4 32-bit lanes it'll
be a bit of a monster, close to 900 or a thousand pins (each 32-bit
DDR3/DDR4 lane requires about 150 pins including power).

 we just have to see.