[Arm-netbook] New Risc-V fully free chip

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Nov 21 09:58:08 GMT 2017

---

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:

> 600mW sound like an aweful little for desktop use. I can't fathom
> javascript loading speeds in such a package. For reference my phone
> has a 3 watt chip( lg g3, snapdragon 801, 28nm) and I do notice some
> lag with webpages. Now granted the high rez screen (1440 x 2560)
> doesn't help but 600mW vs 3 W looks like a big drop.

 RISC-V is *significantly* less power-hungry, performance/watt.  also,
those 3 watts will include a Monster GPU, which will be being used for
accelerated graphics.  and, there will be *two* 32-bit data-wide DDR3
interfaces, not the one.  that'll be 600mW minus the interfaces btw
(including DDR3 driving and GPIO).