[Arm-netbook] GR8 based EOMA68 card

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun May 21 20:23:57 BST 2017

---

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Benson Mitchell
<benson.mitchell+arm-netbook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you modify the casework and put the microSD sideways, so it's only
> accessible when the card is not in a housing, and then have room for all the
> connectors?

 not without custom casework (near-total redesign) or a top-loading
micro-sd, with cutting a hole in the case and arranging (sourcing) a
cover... no.

> I guess custom casework would be expensive,

 yes.

> and could only make sense for
> high volume, but I just wondered if it even looks technically possible.

 the litkconn casework is a plastic frame with metal that is curved
(curled) at the long edges, which clip in to the grooves along the
plastic frame.

 if you try to do side-slotting along that you not only have tto cut
the plastic frame but also the metal casework, which is massively
complex and not very strong.

 top-loading would make sense but... honestly you'd just be better off
dropping the on-board microsd and replacing it with eMMC, with all the
associated problems that that brings (risk of bricking, requiring
special recovery).