[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 Router Ethernet Speed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri May 19 18:26:19 BST 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Erik Auerswald
<auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 03:55:18PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Erik Auerswald
>> <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>> > on http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/router/news/, the text and
>> > picture feature Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. Just one sentence mentions
>> > 10/100 Ethernet in passing.
>> >
>> > IMHO that is misleading. AFAIU the QCA9531 provides Fast Ethernet only,
>> > *NOT* Gigabit Ethernet. Thus please change any occurrences of GBE/GbE/Gbe
>> > or similar with FE, perhaps excluding the very first sentence.
>> >
>> > While Fast Ethernet is good enough for most uses, it is not Gigabit
>> > Ethernet. Please correct the web page.
>>
>>  erik: it's an editable web page, being a wiki, so you can do that
>> yourself.  to stop spam i've had to set a password for creating
>> accounts, and it's "passwordreqd".
>>
>> so whilst i'm delighted that you've highlighted some errors, the
>> wording you're using "please correct the page" is not appropriate to
>> use for a libre community project.   the words you _meant_ to use are,
>> "how can this page be changed" or "would someone like to *consider*
>> changing the page" or "can i invite you to *consider* changing the
>> page".
>
> Please excuse my insensitivity (or not, as you like, I do not intend to
> make you feel obligated to do anything). No offense intended.

 none taken.

>> basically anything which gives the expactation that someone *will* act
>> on your behalf to action your wishes, when you're part of the
>> community by being here and i've provided you with the right - and the
>> trust - to action your wishes without immediate oversight or direct
>> permission being required.
>>
>> so. do you want to try editing the page yourself, or does anyone else
>> want to action erik's valuable contribution?
>
> I have changed the text to use Fast Ethernet instead of the incorrect Gbe.

 awesome.

> I have not changed the image.
>
> Would you like to consider changing what is probably text in some CAD
> program to read "FE" instead of "GBE", re-export the schematic as an
> image and upload the more correct version? I expect that to look much
> better than me trying to change the image with an image editor.

 done... and i used... an image editor :)  (gimp 2.8.  why is gimp 2.8
so much worse a UI than 2.6??)

> IMHO promoting a better specification than intended to deliver is
> dangerous for the project's reputation.

 yehyeh absolutely - i just didn't know.  and have so much else to do,
i didn't check  which is why this is a public project so that people
_can_ make it known.

 so, thank you eric.