[Arm-netbook] I saw your recent update, Luke

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 9 18:34:51 BST 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed. I'm from the slack generation,

 ah so you've read their terms and conditions, then?  and seen these
news articles:

 https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
 https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/robert-mercer-breitbart-war-on-media-steve-bannon-donald-trump-nigel-farage

> not too used to mailing lists. I
> didn't realize I was breaking the flow.

 it's a different world.  slack is designed to self-promote, to entrap
and entice you by "encouraging" - forcing - interaction with glitz and
glamour. likewise github: it's NOT about teamwork, it's about
encouraging you to promote yourself above others, to compete for
attention and glory... all the while getting information that can be
sold about you whilst lying to you that they don't do anything of the
sort.

 so in short: mailing lists are group communication minus the glamour,
entrapment and promotion, but also without hard rules on formatting.
so people need to set their own rules, and that's how netiquette
formed.