[Arm-netbook] firefly 3399 all source software disclosed?

ronwirring at Safe-mail.net ronwirring at Safe-mail.net
Tue May 9 17:13:53 BST 2017

-------- Original Message --------
From: Allan Mwenda <allanitomwesh at gmail.com>
Apparently from: arm-netbook-bounces at lists.phcomp.co.uk
To: Linux on small ARM machines <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] firefly 3399 all source software disclosed?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 08:24:02 +0300

> Quick give this man $150K for a libre CPU
>
> On 8 May 2017 18:43:07 GMT+03:00, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:27 PM,  <ronwirring at safe-mail.net> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Best knowledge is, that new intel and amd processors cannot be reverse engineered.
> > >  What in regard of the latest mali gpus?
> > >  If you have the money, they can be reverse engineered?
> >
> > yes.  about $150k would do it.   but the question is, really: what would happen if you did?  and, what else could you do with the same money? well, with the same money it would be possible to make our own libre processor, with enough extensions to be able to do 3D graphics *without* paying anyone a cent.  any company tries to claim patent royalties, all that happens is a search is made on their "claims", for anything similar that has prior art. if it's another company, guess what?  we notify that other company and watch the fireworks... l. arm-netbook mailing list arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/arm-netbook Send large attachments to arm-netbook at files.phcomp.co.uk
>

> --

How can you make an arm gpu for 150000usd? How would you use it? Would you put it additionally on a bord and not use the gpu located on the processor socket?
If you reverse engineer the latest mali gpu, what you hold against it is, that when next version of an arm socket is for sale it will have a new mali gpu and require a new reverse engineering?
Lets say 50000 people would buy the filrefly rk3399. Same people would pay 3eu each for reverse engineering the gpu. Then we would have a source code arm computer?
It takes a lot of coordination to provide gnulinux distributions I assume. It is unfortunate people are not able to coordinate such that we can get source code hardware.