[Arm-netbook] firefly 3399 all source software disclosed?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 8 16:43:07 BST 2017

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:27 PM,  <ronwirring at safe-mail.net> wrote:
> Best knowledge is, that new intel and amd processors cannot be reverse engineered.
> What in regard of the latest mali gpus?
> If you have the money, they can be reverse engineered?

 yes.  about $150k would do it.   but the question is, really: what
would happen if you did?  and, what else could you do with the same
money?

 well, with the same money it would be possible to make our own libre
processor, with enough extensions to be able to do 3D graphics
*without* paying anyone a cent.  any company tries to claim patent
royalties, all that happens is a search is made on their "claims", for
anything similar that has prior art.

 if it's another company, guess what?  we notify that other company
and watch the fireworks...