[Arm-netbook] firefly 3399 all source software disclosed?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 8 10:11:24 BST 2017

---

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think arm has open source kernel drivers but there is no way they will get
> mainlined any time soon. The question is, how much does the userland blob do

 everything.  the open source kernel "driver" cannot actually be
called a "driver" at all.  it is nothing more than a gateway to the
actual hardware.  peripherals on ARM are memory-mapped: the "driver"
simply provides access to the shared memory region (plus maybe handles
some interrupts).

 this is a constant source of confusion with people believing that
just because the "shim" has been released, somehow magically it's all
okay.