[Arm-netbook] The open risc v idea is good

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 8 06:30:18 BST 2017

---

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:07 AM,  <doark at mail.com> wrote:

>>  normally a DIMM would have 8 or 16 RAM ICs, meaning that for a 4GB
>> DIMM you need 8x 512mb ICs, or you could do 8GB by using 16 of them.
>
> But that would mean that an 8GiB stick for a desktop would cost $80 just
> for the ICs. I can find 8GiB of RAM for $60 and cheaper, I bet, if I
> poked my nose around.

 mass-volume pricing (1m units and above) is radically different from
low to mid-volume pricing (1-10k).

> Or maybe desktops don't need ICs???

 desktops take DIMMs, not individual ICs.

>>  normally you get 2 (matched) DIMMS totalling 8GB.
>>
>>  if you want *32* GB you get 2 matched DIMMs, but nobody in
>> "mass-production" is shipping windows PCs or laptops with 32GB of RAM
>> (and if they are it's DDR4)
> You write that as though being dismissive of DDR4.

 where did you get that impression?

> Why is DDR4 currently
> unacceptable for one of your designs?

 where did you get the impression that i used any words which imply
"unacceptability"?

 no it's much simpler than you imagined: there simply aren't any
***ACCESSIBLE*** SoCs which have DDR4... yet.  "accessible" is defined
according to the selection criteria listed here:

 https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/picking-a-processor

> Hmm, maybe you should invent an OpenSource IC?

 that's what the libre-riscv initiative is about.