[Arm-netbook] first prototype microdesktop casework

doark at mail.com doark at mail.com
Mon May 8 02:07:03 BST 2017

I apologize for DOS'ing the list, I can only get online about once a week.

On  Sat, 29 Apr 2017 12:42:29 +0100
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> > http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/micro_desktop/news/
>
>  ok, ouch, onto the fourth revision of the corner-pieces already, and
> some minor changes to the plywood are needed as well.  this really
> would have been awkward if someone else did it.
>
>  the anycubic 3d printer is holding up well.  the higher-quality PLA
> from the company i found on aliexpress seems reasonable so far (the
> "standard" quality definitely isn't: it literally crumbles under
> pressure).
<snip>

Luke, (I can call you Luke, since you sign your name that way, right?)
PLA stands for Poly-Lactic-Acid and if they are selling you something
else you can complain, if not sue for false advertising. That's why we
label things, so that we know what they are, right? So one PLA aught to
be the same as any other. Aluminum is aluminum, titanium is titanium, why
is PLA not PLA?

I own a Reach3D printer. It's an all aluminum housing and z axis gear
printer. I'm still in the construction phase, but if me and my caliper
(it's auto-calibrating but I want it perfect :) work well together then I
should be printing sometime around the 21st. I could help you with my
printer at limited expense (unless something big happens in my life :)

Also, I bought on Amazon 2 spools of PLA and one of PC. The PLA cost ~$20
per KG while the PC was ~$30. It seems to me that you might be better off
with PC if finding a good PLA supplier and making a case that is not
flimsy with PLA is such a problem.

Sincerely,
David