[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Mar 30 21:47:07 BST 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Tor, the Marqueteur
<Marqueteur at fineartmarquetry.com> wrote:
> On 30/03/17 03:46, Vincent Legoll wrote:
>>> From a wood engineering standpoint I'd be in favour of looking into this.
>>>  By using this method, wood movement with climate becomes negligible,
>>> which makes things a good deal easier there.
>>
>> We're talking about plywood here, and smallish pieces, so I think the climate-
>> induced wood movement will be negligible whatever we choose.
>> Unless you sunk it. ;-)
>>
> Length/width, you're entirely correct, and that holds true for
> significantly larger pieces than we've got here.  The laptop needn't worry.
>
> Thickness is where we lose all plywood moisture stability with the
> stacked option.  8 layers, 3mm thick = ~24mm thick, or a little less than
> 1".  As I posted earlier, between someone living in a desert, and someone
> living in a wet tropical area, the latter may have a case almost 1/16" or
> 1.5mm thicker than the desert person.

 hmmm.... damnit.  the screws will quickly trash the plywood if that's
the case.  that tells me it's going to have to be a 3d printed plywood
hybrid.  top bottom left right front back sides slotted into a curved
corner arrangement, minimising the amount of 3d printing as much
aspossible.  arse. let me think about it.  ideas anyone