[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Vincent Legoll vincent.legoll at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:47:47 BST 2017

Hello,

Just throwing in my 2 cts, as I know nothing of CAD design...

>  ha!  cool!  looks really good.  i love the curves on the corners and
> the edges, if that shape can be retained i think it'll look absolutely
> stunning.

For the sake of CAD-illiterate people like me, would it be hard or take
much time to create some rendered pictures of the thing ?So that we
can see with our eyes, and maybe spot a thing or two, or have ideas...

>  * the PCB will fall out of the casework (both ways, forwards and backwards).
>  * it will also lift upwards by about... 1mm, rattling around.
>  * the middle layers also need to be split into separate halves.
> right now, the components are in the way.
>  * the layer below the PCB (with a cutout for the micro-sd card) will
> be in direct contact with the PCB, preventing heat dissipation
>  * also you notice the cut-away in the corner of the PCB underneath
> the eject button for the PCMCIA holder? the idea there is to put a
> small recess (which we have to think how not to interfere with the
> aesthetics) that will make it easier to eject.
>  * layers 5 and 6 really should be hollow, so that there's a chance
> for air to circulate

... because that is a bit hard to follow if you can't see anything.

>  also, a decision needs to be made whether to line up layer 2's "high
> edge" with the top of the PCB or whether to line it up with the
> *bottom* of the PCB, ass you've done.  the way i've tried it, you end
> up with one less piece of plywood.  but the way i've tried it, layer 2
> will need to be 4mm thick.  i'm still leaning towards that

>From a build perspective if the layers can be made with identical
source materials, it would be better, as there will probably be lost
cutouts, and some of them may be thrown away. It would go with
the eco- consciousness of the project.

> one other consideration, should there be ventilation holes drilled in
> the top and bottom, for air circulation?

I'd hazard that this would be a absolute yes, even in case of no OC'ing,
nor tinkering. Always good, no real downsides.

> people might wish to
> overclock these things and there should be room for them to put an
> ultra-slim fan inside, as well as electronics (access to the 20-pin
> header).

But you'll have to stop somewhere, not to overdesign, so the tinkerers
will be able to modify the thing to suit their needs, as all will be libre.

>  on the crude technique i'm using, images microdesktop_1.png and
> microdesktop_2.png are here:
>  http://hands.com/~lkcl/eoma/tablet/3dcase

Ah, that may be the answer to my first question above, but: 404, so
I can't really tell.

Thanks

--
Vincent Legoll