[Arm-netbook] back to taiwan, internet access not available for a while

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Mar 29 15:23:07 BST 2017

---

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Christopher Havel
<laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You tickled my brain about something I'd seen a while back (by which I mean
> a month or two ago... I have PC-XT kinds of memory...)

 oo that's a throw-back :)

> that might be helpful
> to you... dunno...

 what's the actual chip IC number and is it a bare IC or already on a
DIMM?  some of the 32mb / 64mb DDR1 SDRAMs are still used by the
MIPS-based routers (including this RT5350) - it just depends what it
is.

> https://hackaday.io/project/19350-an-old-fashion-acoustic-modem-for-the-iphone

 ha ha very funny.... it actually turns out that all you need to do is
XOR some pseudo-random "garbage" over the packet and the Great
Fuckwall of China's real-time deep packet inspection can't do jack
shit.

 ... so i *haven't been able to use that little VPN* because the
moment i switch it on, the GFW will go "oh look, that's openvpn
spanggggg" and that UDP or TCP port is blocked for about 24 hours.

 the main problem isn't actually the blocking itself, it's the
un-fucking-believably-slow speed that totally fucks *everything* up.

 the actual underlying problem is the timeouts and errors that occur
(interference with HTTPS traffic due to brain-dead substitution of the
contents of packets... *even* over a VPN) - i explained it in a
cluster-fuck bug report on bugs.chromium.org:

 https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=675411

... :)