[Arm-netbook] AMD considering releasing the PSP

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:55:03 GMT 2017

The problem right now is that pretty much none of the arm SoC manufacturers
adds what is needed for supporting a full desktop/ laptop experience, that
is more than 4 gb of ram, sata3, general purpose pcie lanes and more memory
bandwidth for the igpu. Most of the arm chips right now are stuck at 64 bit
ddr4 at most, and the ones we have access too ( being libre) have even less
bandwidth and are even more limited when it comes to ram.

Just an example, going from single channel to dual channel on an intel igpu
increases performance by 20-30%, and that's even on a gpu design much worse
than any powervr or mali gpu. AMD's apus are somewhat better in this regard
since they have much more advanced memory compression.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net