[Arm-netbook] mali gpu reverse engineering lkcl may ignore

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 21:03:29 BST 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:48 PM, Mike Leimon <leimon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I think that working together with people who are openly
> developing a GPU design and who would probably be quite welcoming
> of assistance from Luc would be a much better situation for him than if
> he went back to trying to working on the lima driver. Perhaps a company
> like si-five ( https://www.sifive.com/ ) or the risc-v organization might
> even consider trying to sponsor a collaboration like this as having a good
> open GPU implementation would certainly be a boon to them in the future.
>
> Anyhow, that is my two cents.

That is a really good idea and luke had mentioned it multiple times in
the past but keep in mind that gpus are an extreme patent minefield
these days. Heck, intel can't solve some problems like memory
compression on their gpus. But maybe someone should propose this to
sifive or the risc v foundation. Something like a Berkeley sponsored
program would be really interesting.