[Arm-netbook] mailing list etiquette

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jun 18 07:49:08 BST 2017

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Lars Kruse <lists at sumpfralle.de> wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>

> Am Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:35:59 -0400
> schrieb ronwirring at Safe-mail.net:
>
>> [..]
>> I prefere if others leave the full text in their emails.
>> I prefere to not delete text in my own replies.
>> I cannot make that decision about my replies?
>
> I could image, that Luke would like the participants of this mailinglist to use
> a style similar to the one defined in RFC1985 ("Netiquette", see section 2.1.1):

 https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

 RFC 1855 not 1955.   took a few minutes to find it.  section 2.1.1 is
a little dated, but 95% relevant.  interestingly it contains no
specific advice for mailing list interaction.

 this example contains good advice on mailing list etiquette:
 http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

 please read - and follow and adhere to - section 9, ron.  please also
follow the link which leads here and read it:

 http://howto-pages.org/posting_style/

>  Be brief without being overly terse.  When replying to a message,
>  include enough original material to be understood but no more. It
>  is extremely bad form to simply reply to a message by including
>  all the previous message: edit out all the irrelevant material.
>

> Since Luke maintains this mailinglist, I find it to be acceptable, that he
> can define the communication policy of this list, if he prefers so.

 i do.  i used to be quite lax about it but i feel it is becoming important.

> Specifically in this case he is following a widely used style - even though we
> are all aware of the fact, that there are different communities or contexts out
> there using very different styles with regard to quoting.

 for a "chatty" list such as a support self-help (e.g. alcoholics
anonymous) group, top-posting would be the norm as most people would
interact with either single-sentence (top-posted) replies of
encouragement, or they would write massive walls-of-text to which it
would be typically be perfectly fine to top-post.

 this list is not such a list.

 this is a technical list and it can get very busy and very complex
very quickly.  following interaction rules that have been developed
over many decades for technical lists would be a good idea.
http://howto-pages.org/posting_style/