[Arm-netbook] Standards Organization as a Potentially Universal Free/Libre Software Developement Sustenance Model

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jun 12 21:05:12 BST 2017

> I give up. Why do some people dislike github or sourceforge?

I don't think the two are in the same category at all (and the message
to which you replied was specifically putting SourceForge in the
"other" category, indeed).

As to why some people dislike GitHub?  I can't talk about other people,
but personally, I don't have much trust in it for the following reasons:
- It's a commercial company, so it has to make money somehow from its
  free service.
- It doesn't publish its own code as Free Software (not even the
  Javascript code you download into your browser to use the site).
- I feel a lot of pressure to use it.  IOW they work hard to use the
  so-called "networking effect" to pull people to their site.
  The more you use it, the more you pressure other people to do likewise.
  I hate this kind of centralization because it gives too much power to
  a single unaccountable entity.

        Stefan