[Arm-netbook] Cell phone question

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 14:26:27 BST 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 9:03 PM, Joseph Lira <saitdude at hotmail.com> wrote:
> i can keep updating and patching until its truelly obsolete and all will still >respecting my privacy, does such a phone exist?

No. Mobile networks require closed-source firmware by law and gps
requires proprietary software too. Personally as long as the phone
does not use the camera or the microphone without my permission it's
fine by me, since the technology underlying it means the network
company will be able to track you anyway when you make calls. I'm
using an LG G3 which from a durability point of view has been stellar.
Been using it for exactly what you described more or less, dropped it
from the first floor with no protective case multiple times, still
works flawless. Additionally, and unfortunately this is not granted
these days it has removable battery. With a new battery it can easily
last an entire day, after 2.5 years it still lasts a day if you don't
stress it much. With 4g open and web browsing it will die after ~4-5h.
Listening to spotify via 4g with the screen turned off still lasts
8+h. Charging is relatively fast. A bit of overheating issues if you
stress it though. I haven't done it myself but there are ways to flash
it, so you are not stuck with the default lg skin. Just don't accept
the legal notice at boot so the lg apps won't launch and hog your
battery.