[Arm-netbook] Standards Organization as a Potentially Universal Free/Libre Software Developement Sustenance Model

Jean Flamelle eaterjolly at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 12:26:02 BST 2017

On 7/16/17, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>> The word "code" in "code of conduct" does usually implies formal
>> membership, so I thought it might be confusing to some people if the
>> phrase became popular in closed circles.
>
>  no - it's well-known that "code of conduct" is a dangerous, toxic and
>  highly unethical system of "control" over contributors.  *i* didn't know
>  that, so i did a comprehensive analysis here on the list about 6-8
>  months ago, and emphatically agreed with the assessment.

Ah - I see. I think I see it as more a representation of what
moderators will probably do regardless of if said document exists or
not. I think it very toxic if they try to hurt project forks that do
things differently, but moderators inevitably will try to establish a
certain culture within their project and documenting the moderators
behaviors will set the right expectations in people.

Inevitably, and especially as the open-source and free software
communities grow, there will be project forks based simply on certain
people that can't cooperate with each other. I think this kind of
conflict can breed a healthy diversity in people, so, if a small group
of contributors write up a small "code of conduct" on how they like to
be treated, I think that can be healthy depending on the
circumstances.

I see it that such a doc could mean "don't talk to me, if you do X" or
it could mean "you can't have my code, if you do X". The former is all
well and fine, but the later I'd agree is toxic.

>> I opted to separate it like that to make it more unambiguous, since
>> there are two possible definitions of libre in regard to websites:
>> open-source/free scripts and open-source/free server code.
>
>  hmmm.... *thinks*... is the distinction important?  don't know.  so
> it should probably go on the list.  it might be statistically
> significant.
>
>  so a column "Web site source available / License"
>  and now that i think about it "Documentation source available / License"
>
>  should be added

I'm starting to really feel the usefulness of collecting this data :>

>  yuck.   please don't: i use 4-spaces-per-tab where other people will
> use 8.  also, the reason for using spaces is because you can just put
> your editor into "replace" mode and the formatting remains stable.
>
> please put it back.

I got this error trying to revert the change back "Error: Failed to
revert commit 27584a06584f4942b6d24bda08511cedd3f867d3 'git revert
--no-commit 27584a06584f4942b6d24bda08511cedd3f867d3' failed: "

Hm, the web editor uses a proportional-pitch font, so it's impossible
to tell the number of spaces in a table to get alignment. (didn't
realize you could use git to edit it, so I thought you also saw this.)

I'm not in on the spaces v. tabs holy war. lol