[Arm-netbook] Standards Organization as a Potentially Universal Free/Libre Software Developement Sustenance Model

Jean Flamelle eaterjolly at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 06:58:56 BST 2017

On 7/15/17, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>  liked some, didn't like others.  "etiquette guidelines" doesn't have
> the same toxic punch as "code of conduct" is well-known for.

The word "code" in "code of conduct" does usually implies formal
membership, so I thought it might be confusing to some people if the
phrase became popular in closed circles.

Etiquette guidelines isn't perfect either, because samba technically
actually has a page called "Etiquette" however that refers to trimming
mailing list posts and not in any way how people ought to treat each
other.

Perhaps "Contributor Conduct Guidelines"?

  liked
> the idea of including the VCS and if it's libre-hosted (likewise for
> bugtracker) but *not* the wording you chose ("self-hosted").

I opted to separate it like that to make it more unambiguous, since
there are two possible definitions of libre in regard to websites:
open-source/free scripts and open-source/free server code. Most
browsers provide no practical way to prove the source code belongs to
the scripts actually sent by the server, without running them, and
because of this it might be argued that the server code should also be
libre so that anyone could run an offline mirror.

If we say arbitrarily that a website is libre it could mean one of
three things: functions w/o script, open-source/free scripts, or
open-source/free server code.

The assumption is that if the server code is libre, then self-hosting
should make by extension the repositories libre. Though, I suppose
there would be nothing hindering someone from just omitting that part
of the server code, on second thought. It's a tricky situation.

>  also i turned the table round by 90 degrees as i could see it getting
> far too long, and then broke them down into related groups.  still
> some TODO.

Thanks, much less cluttered!

I use cut-and-paste to convert the spaces to tabs just now to clean the source.

Also, on a side note, I put urbit on there because they are unorthodox
and because they have an unusually high ratio interest compared to
people actually able to contribute, much like you would expect from
RISC or KiCAD, but not 'another' replacement for apache.